Wednesday, December 2, 2020

To go big...or not...

Working through trying to decide if all the paper work, fees, licenses and head ache are worth getting wholesaler license to make/sell beer. I was working on some logos for the L.L.C. if I was going to do this. I also started talking and reading all the filing/paperwork necessary. UGH!!...it is a LOT!

There are business setup requirements before you even start filing with the Federal and State agencies for production of a taxed/regulated item, which isn't too bad, but it is a lot of work if I ultimately hate it as a job and decide I don't want to follow through (or can't due to zoning) beyond just a 1 BBL setup. Ultimately, I think it boils down to figuring out if I want to sign on for this much work. And I need to figure that out. One of the best/easiest ways would be if I could start doing it in 1 BBL brewhouse out of my shop with conditional permitting and grow if I like it...I have the equipment to do that and it would be minimal investment over what I have now. I think that makes it clear I need to figure out county zoning requirements (I called and left multiple messages and sent email, but no responses yet). I read a quote that made me laugh and put it in perspective, though:

"If you are opening a brewery to get rich, you are going to be disappointed..."

Some sample Logos:

There are a TON of requirements to get this started (Federal Wholesaler, LLC creation and biz name/logo, State and County licensing, Tax ID, Zoning / inspections, etc.). The first of which is made even more difficult if I'm trying to do it out of a limited use residential area and don't have a commercial / industrial location.

  1. Figure out County Zoning requirements (even though county zoning forms are way down on the list, if this is a show stopper, I need to know first): Canyon County Idaho Zoning info.
  2. Form LLC: LLC University info.
    • Pick a name: Mossy Cup Brewing, L.L.C. ✔
    • Search for existing conflicts: None ✔
    • Pick a logo: So far, I like the first one of the samples. Simple. Mono-color. Easy to Print. ✔
    • Reserve a domain name: MossyCupBrewing.com available Need to reserve it (likely $200 annual fee for hosting/domain services)
    • Pick a Registered Agent: Jeff McClain ✔
    • Get an Operating Agreement: ???
    • Register L.L.C.: $100 filing fee + $0 annual in Idaho.
    • EIN: ??
    • Annual Report: ???
    • Taxes: Form 1650 (also need 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 and 1605 forms filed annually)
  3. Federal TTB approval: TTB Getting Started info. Estimated 4-6 months!
  4. County Zoning approval forms: Canyon County Idaho Zoning and Form for ISP ABC
  5. Idaho State Police Alcohol Beverage Control Wholesalers approval: ISP ABC comes with $50/annual fee
  6. Idaho State Tax Commission Sellers Permit: Idaho Tax Hub

Then there are all the tax filings and floor plans of your brewery you have to maintain on file and where your "tax allocation storage" for beer you are making that needs to pass audits and official measurement calibrations for proper taxation and declaration forms quarterly for production and state alcohol tax collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Blogs