Sunday, December 13, 2020

New 1 BBL Unitank

Finally got the Black Friday 1 BBL unitank on 15% off I got from SS Brewtech after they shipped it from my local city (it was "on a truck out for delivery") to Rhode Island (and then back). This thing is so damn pretty. Shiny curved surfaces and with 6" heavy duty casters, it rolls around pretty well for a top heavy fermenter. I was prepared for it to be big, so it is not too surprising there (I think I was prepped for it to be even bigger.

I need to be able to roll it around a little bit in my shop so I can fill it and chill it and wheel it out to be cleaned.


I got everything hooked up to make sure nothing was massively damaged or bent and realized I'm going to have to remove the casters and the bottom bracket/shelf to put on the neoprene jacket later anyway.


I setup while it is 32'F out and starting to snow to heat water in my RIMS tube and do the initial cleaning of the BK and the new unitank. I had plenty of TSP for 6-7 gallons of water and the plan was to CIP everything. Well, my pumps don't come even close to enough flow to do more than weak spray / drizzle out of the CIP's so I got a 5 gallon bucket and my old stand-by sump pump. That seemed to do the trick pretty well.



Finished off with a LIBERAL coating of starsan spray to begin passivating it and I'm going to have to just do this again in two weeks when my new 1 BBL MashTun from MoreBeer gets here, since I got one from them that is almost identical to the SS Brewtech one for a mashtun. Not sure if I drill out the triclad bottom and just solder in the TC for bottom drain or try to dome it, but it needs a bottom drain.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Blogs