Thursday, December 3, 2020

Building a Brew Valve Tree

This thread on homebrewtalk.com about valve tree setups and automation is amazing! In all my years brewing on my frame, as complex and automated as I've gotten it, I've always thought making a hard plumbed setup like the pro brew systems would be cool. Well, some of the hardware is getting cheap enough these days and I thought I would have a go at how I would layout my setup with 3-way valves in T port form...

What is a Valve Tree? Well, it is the complex system of valves shown in the thumbnail above in the center of the image. I've also begun trying to approach this more like electronics and a MUX (or even just a 3-way switch operation). In doing this, I convinced myself that a 3-way only ever saves you ONE switch (or valve) over a 2-way, but adds serial losses and typically costs much more in gate count (valves/space). So, as you get more complicated, the loss from using just 2-way is only 1+N where N is number of options (limit goes to zero at infinity). Sure, if you're only doing ONE simple choice, it seems better (still at 2x the price, it is NOT). Consider a simple single element bypass example, below. This requires only ONE 3-way (left), but TWO 2-way (on right). We think left is simpler. But as you expand on that, you start seeing that a MUX designed with 3-ways adds serial loss and only ever saves 1 total switch (valve) over the 2-way. So it quickly becomes better to layout with just a simple ON-OFF valve. Right now, 3-way TC valves are nearly 3x more $$$ which QUICKLY adds up to not being practical and you have all the serial losses in pump flow that a bridge design 2-way does not.

Still, I had already gone through drawing up with state examples for my brew frame, so here those are...I'm going back to understand how I would redesign that for minimal layout and valve counts for the states I really care about using just 2-way valves. So, this is what retired electrical engineers do. Below are some of the configurations of the 3-way T-port valves and the hose setups that allow me to do everything I normally do in a brew day, and (theoretically) never disconnect and reconnect a hose or move anything...It shows the orientation of the T-port (there are 12) and the hose connections (also 12) and then the progression through my steps of brewing (highlighting valves that need to change in each new step from the previous in red) and "Don't Care" valves are in "?".






No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Blogs