Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Brewing - Sockeye Dagger Falls clone

Today was the day I would test out some of the new additions and changes I had made to my brewery! Namely, the bottom drain mash tun and the replumbed natural gas access from the garage instead of off the back patio deck (to help make it easier to wheel 15 gallons of fresh wort in my large half bbl stainless steel conical fermenter from SS Brewtech).

I was going to replenish my much needed Dagger Falls IPA clone, from Sockeye Brewing.  I had been out for months and the last round didn't meet my expectations (possibly due to stuck mash problems and other issues...but time will tell).

The day went splendid in the new location. I had some slight issues with reduced gas pressure due to the long 36' run of hose and multiple QD connections, but it worked ok, as long as I was careful not to run HLT and BK both at same time. Note: might be high time to consider putting in some electric assist/boost elements in HLT!

~35lbs of crushed grains Yeast Starter

Brew setup

Brew setup

New MT bottom drain with sight glass 13.5 gallons boil

Fermenter with bottom dump sight glass

Overall, I got 13.5 gallons delivered to fermenter and finally to kegs about 3 weeks later.

Characteristics

  • Style: 14B American IPA
  • OG: 1.059
  • FG: 1.012
  • ABV: 6.2%
  • SRM: 10.2'L
  • IBU: 82

Ingrediants

  • 29 lbs 2-row
  • 3.75 lbs Vienna
  • 2.25 lbs Crystal 80L
  • 1 oz Simco pellet @ first wort
  • 1 oz Centennial pellet @ 60 min
  • 2 oz Magnum pellet @ 60 min
  • 1 oz Centennial pellet @ 30 min
  • 1 oz Simco pellet @ 30 min
  • 1 oz Simco pellet @ 15 min
  • 1 oz Liberty pellet @ 10 min
  • 1 oz Simco pellet @ 10 min
  • 1 oz Centennial leaf @ 0 min
  • 1 oz Centennial leaf @ dry hop
  • 1 oz Simco leaf @ dry hop
  • Wyeast 1056 American Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Blogs